Thursday, March 4, 2010

Fathering

This blog came about during a conversation with my wife about being a father. After finding out we're gonna have a baby and then more so when we found out we're having twins, I realized there is a lack of info on fathering a child and less on twins. It seems during the day, the father wasn't much involved in the parenting of a child and a father wanting to be involved is something new. I could be wrong, but from the lack of info out there, it seems like it.

Looking around the net, I found it somewhat difficult to come across a decent fathering website. The ones I've found contain mostly broken links (usually for the info I'm mostly looking for) or contains old articles that pretty much sound like common sense or seem to be directed at how a deadbeat father could be a caring father. At least that's what I got out of some of these articles. Also many of the "father" websites seem to be dedicated to the legal rights of the father.

You won't find many organzations dedicated to parents of twins either. I recall reading somewhere when we found out we were having twins to look into a twin organazation for informaton. I thought it would be a good idea to see if we have any around us. The closest one I could find is an hour away and it's designed for mothers. I don't understand why they don't open it to include fathers. Maybe rename their organazation "National organazation of PARENTS of twins?"

I have a disadvantage as I haven't looked into "parenting" books more. The books we've gotten from the library have mostly been pregnancy books. I'm not sure if there's even a book out there that deals with the raising the twins. We had a hard time locating twin pregnancy books in the store (one popular book chain only had two.) We got a lot of books from the library but mostly seem to deal with pregancy to one year. The pregnancy books usually offer one chapter to the father.

While all these mediums do give useful information. I do appreciate the lists that are in most pregnancy books and learning about the development of the baby.) The info listed on webmd and in "what to expect when your expecting" have been very helpful. I just feel like there should be more out there on parenting (including the father).

Feel free to let me know of any good books, websites, or organazations.

No comments:

Post a Comment