Friday, July 16, 2010

Freak out

I hope I don't jinx this but I think we've been very lucky with our boys and their temperament. They don't cry much without a reason. It's usually easy to figure out: they're hungry, trying to poop, or just bored. The freak-outs have been limited and that is usually because they're tired and fighting it.

Last week they had a major freak-out around 2am. It was hard to figure out what the problem was. I thought maybe because one was crying and the other one wanted to cry too. That could have been the case, but it's still a mystery. I went into the other room with Jasper while Joy stayed with Jacob. That didn't seem to solve anything so Joy joined me in the bedroom. I'm guessing they were just too tired and fighting going to sleep. Eventually, they calmed down enough to eat. So Joy fed them and I went back to sleep and they did soon after.

Another instance was on Sunday. Jacob was asleep and Jasper was freaking-out. He had been up for a long time and I could tell he was fighting going to sleep. However, there was nothing I could do to calm him down. He had the bottle in his mouth but wasn't drinking and falling asleep but when I'd take it out, he would freak. So I tried the pacifer but no luck, he would spit it out and cry. Also me holding him didn't help.

So finally I remembered Jacob freaking out when I put him in the stroller but calmed right down as soon as he got out of the garage and he could see the sky. So I put Jasper in the carrier that attaches to the stroller and boy he was not happy. I put him in the stroller in the garage and went back inside to get Jacob. By the time I got Jacob in the sling and went into the garage with Jasper was calm! No crying or freaking-out. We got to the park and almost instantly he asleep.

Now if only we could take on a walk in the middle of the night. But all-and-all not too bad! At least not as bad as most people make it out to be. Again, hope this doesn't jinx it.

The number one question I get from anyone when they find out I have twins is: are you getting any sleep? The answer is yes. Granted we don't get the 8 hours of sleep that we used to get but the five hours has been working fine. Joy and I have been taking shifts. I get to sleep somewhere between 1 and 2am and some occasions 3am. Joy goes to bed usually after dinner till anywhere between 12 and 2am.

So I think the key to getting sleep when you have a baby or babies is to work with your partner. Granted we don't see each other as much as we used to and I think we slept together once in the last two weeks when her mom watched the boys. Sleeping in shifts has been a working for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment