Friday, March 9, 2012

Reading and words!







We are trying to read to the boys again. It's so hard to read them stories without them running away or taking the book. I read to them sometimes at night if I'm trying to get them to go to sleep but it's usually something I'm reading at the time. Poe used to knock them out!

We were worried that their language skills aren't up to where they're supposed to be. Every other milestone they are way ahead of where they are supposed to me.

Sunday, Joy and I made a list of all the words they know and to our surprise they are right where they are supposed to be . I looked on various websites to find exercises or things we could do with them.

That night, without much trying they started exploding with words. They are making a good attempt at trying to repeat us.

One of the exercises is to read to them. So this week, we both started reading to them kids books at night. It had been mostly ineffective. It is hard to keep them still for a story. They do like grabbing the book and "reading" aloud themselves. Which is really cute and awesome!!! But not so much for learning new words.

Last night, Joy suggested we do it at the dinner time with them strapped in. That was much more successful! They ate and watched us read and show them the pictures in the book. Joy and I both read them a different book.

We are also repeating words a lot as we are doing things. "Jacob is sitting on the chair! Chair! Jasper is sitting in the chair too! The chair!" etc.

We have a play outdoor grill and oven in their playroom that they have been playing with a lot lately. Last night, Jasper was playing with the oven and after he put stuff in the oven, I pressed the sticker buttons on it and said "beep beep beep". He repeated instantly! I then made a "shhhhh" sound when I pretended to put water in the pan. Jasper and Jacob both mimicked. Really cute!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment