Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Baby Food Dilemma - Mother of Twins


The doctor gave my little baby boys the go ahead to start semi-solid food this week. While being overly excited about this big step in their development, I am undecided about their first meal. I am not sure if they are really ready to start eating solids or if it is healthy for them to start at such a young age. Right now our twins rely solely on breast milk and vitamin D drops for their nutritional needs. While I am excited about there first bites of solid food I know this decision should be about my boys nutrition and not my excitement about this milestone.
Generally rice or oat cereal mixed with breast milk or formula is the first solid food. However, mashed bananas, sweet potatoes or avocados are just as safe and in many ways more nutritious. These fruits and vegetables are used exclusively in many cultures throughout the world. The idea that my boys would start eating fruit or vegetables first is so appealing. I have read a few articles that suggest cereals could be a leading cause of obesity in american babies/toddlers, but I am not sure I want to risk straying away from the American Association of Pediatrics suggestion that babies should start on cereal.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment