Tuesday, October 5, 2010

BOOK REVIEW - Even Monsters Need Haircuts


When I was 17, I was lazy. In no way did I want to have a job. Yuck! I played in a band, that's what I wanted to do. I go to school and then work on my music when I'm not. It was great fun. Then one day it was decided that I needed a job. My dad woke up at 5am for work and there he was knocking my door, waking up me to look for a job. No fun. Luckily it was pretty easy for me to get a job. I turned in two applications and got a call and the job for the first one I put it. Lucky.

This is quite a different story in Even Monsters Need Haircuts by Matthew McElligott. The boy in this story has a job and his dad doesn't even know about it! He sneaks out of the house, against his parents' (I assume) wishes, once a month to take on the same career his father does. His father is a barber. The only difference, he cuts the hair of monsters!

This book is pretty fun. I'm not quite sure of the message/moral (if it has one) but it is a sure fun read. The story takes a twist when a human walks in for a haircut. All the monsters and stunned and the boy is nervous. However, the "human" just wants a little of the top. You'll have to check the picture out to see what he means.

I recommend this book and I have read it several times to the boys and I enjoy the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment