Sunday, October 3, 2010

BOOK REVIEW - The Halloween Kid


If you haven't noticed I'm a big fan of Halloween. Last year, Joy and I bought a house and you'd have no idea how excited I was to hand out of candy to Trick-or-Treaters that year. I got all dressed up as a zombie, thanks to Joy. Joy was going through the beginnings of pregnancy, so she opted to hang out mostly on the couch that night. We got a ton of candy from Sams Club. We had just bought more that day because we weren't sure how many kids would be coming to house.

5pm came and everything was ready for trick-or-treaters! I was on the pouch, dressed up with bowl of candy. You wouldn't believe how many kids came! None! Not a one! I walked down the street to see if kids were trick-or-treating down the street. Nope.

What does this have to do with the Halloween Kid by Rhode Montijo? Well the Halloween Kid saves Halloween! He's a super hero! I could have used the Halloween Kid to encourage kids to go trick-or-treating and save Halloween! He saved Halloween for anyone who tried to ruin it and I feel the people in my neighbor ruined it for the kids and the neighborhood by either being to scared to go out (we live in a city), religious reasons, or just lame!

This book has a western feel to it, which makes it really fun. Allow me to quote some of the lines from the book:

"He wrassled pumpkin-suckin' vampires"
"Ye-ha-llowen!"
"...the Halloween kid loved him some Halloween...."

This book is great! The pictures look great too. When you read this book, though, you have to read it best southern accent you can do. If you can, put a cowboy hat on too. Why not? I think the boys will enjoy this book when they understand the words. I had a blast reading it and even though they didn't understand me they smiled at my enthusiasm.

Back to my story, my Halloween kid that night was putting a VHS of the Exorcist in and watching it with Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment