Friday, October 15, 2010

The Power of Singing


I'm a very musical person, I've been playing in bands since I was 8 or so. It's odd for me to not have a song in my head. Even as I type this I'm listening to music. I'm really looking forward to the day I can show the boys how to play an instrument or beat on the drums. Even if it turns out to be something they're not interested in, I still think it's important to give them the opportunity to try it out.

Recently I've noticed a postive reaction to singing to the boys. Singing to them can turn a grumpy mood or freak out to either calm and flat out cracking up laughter. Granted this might not completely work if they just got a shot but I think it helps in a small way.i

Right now the hits of the household are "Rockabye Baby," "This old man," and "Camp Town Races.

I'm not a lyrical person. Lyrics are the last thing I pay attention to when listening to a song. So when it comes to singing these songs I tend to either make up my own lyrics or sing the melody. I enjoy incorporating the boys into the song such as "This Old Man" can be be varied with "little man," "Jasper Man" or "Jacob Dude."

I can't recommend enough singing to your children. It doesn't matter how well you sing, so don't self conscious. Remember if you can talk, you can sing. Your children will love it, at least while they're babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment